Amsterdam April 4 1871 – Amsterdam May 18 1945 Hendrik Karel, nickname Henk, was born in the parental house at the Baangracht, baptist Reformed, son of Hendrik Karel Smit (1843-1897) and Maria Magdalena Perotti(1844-1927). He married on January 17 1900 with Helena… (READ MORE)
* Gestel July 1, 1916 † Amsterdam May 7, 1945 Maria Nella van Hooff, correspondent, died on the consequences of bullet wounds on May 7 1945 at 03:00PM at the Dam, 28 years old. She was born in Gestel (now Eindhoven) as… (READ MORE)
* Amsterdam April 22 1915 † Amsterdam May 8 1945 Hendrina Louise Frank died in the night of May 7 to 8 1945 on the consequences of bullet wounds, caught during the shooting on the Dam. She was married with Cornelis Koper. Together they… (READ MORE)
Rika Overdijk was only 12 years old when she was killed on the Dam by bullets on May 7 at 3 pm. She was the only child of an electrician named Dirk Overdijk (1902-1977) and his wife Rimkien Ossel (born 1901). The family lived at Barentszstraat 32 on the third floor.
* Amsterdam October 11 1879 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 Willem died at age 65 on May 7, 1945 at 3 pm of shots that perforated his lungs. He was buried on May 11 at the “Nieuwe Ooster” cemetery. Willem… (READ MORE)
* Den Haag November 1925 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 Han was an only child, his parents were Adam Bernardus Hutjes (1898-1975) and Elisabeth Catharina Maria Verbeek (1897-1989). During Operation Market Garden the family fled from Arnhem and was registered by… (READ MORE)
Aaltje’s parents were Arie Smorenberg and Maartje Blokker. Arie Smorenberg (1891-1955) was born in Alkmaar into a family of 10 children all born between 1888-1905.
The family lived for 35 years above the barbershop of Aaltje’s father at Kadijksplein 8.
* Amsterdam November 21 1892 † Amsterdam May 9 1945 Sophia Frederika Mathilda de Vries died, 52 years old, at May 9th 1945 at 11:15pm by bullet wounds. The documents indicate cause off death: ‘bullet wounds’ and lung embolism by a… (READ MORE)
Wim died at 15.15 hours after been shot, shortly before his 14th birthday. He was buried at the Noorderbegraafplaats, his grave is gone.
Belfeld February 2 1927 – Amsterdam May 7 1945 Frans Johannes Feller was only 18 years old. He died, after being shot at the Dam, in the Binnengasthuis, several hours later at 08:30pm. The death certificate mentioned bullet wounds and… (READ MORE)
* Amsterdam October 28 1928 † Amsterdam May 8 1945 Elisabeth de Boer’s medical certificate of death states that she died on 8 May 1945 at 10 am. Cause of death: Gunshot Wound to the Stomach, Fourteen Perforations of the Intestines…. (READ MORE)
* Amsterdam, January 9 1901 † Amsterdam, May 7 1945 Johannes Bobeldijk, heating stoker, died on May 7, 1945 at 4:00PM of a gunshot wound in the stomach and perforated intestines. He was the eldest son of diamond worker Johannes… (READ MORE)
Harlingen May 11 1928 – Amsterdam May 7 1945 Johannes Jan (Hans) Ooms,named after his father, was born on May 11 1928 in Harlingen. He is a son of Johannes Jan Ooms and Antonia Helena de Klerk. The family lived at… (READ MORE)
* Muiden December 18, 1898 † Amsterdam May 7, 1945 Pieter Hendrik Diekmeijer and Johanna Maria Wajon had five children. One of them was Pieter Hendrik Diekmeijer who got married in Amersfoort on April 2, 1931 to Margaretha van Noordt,… (READ MORE)
My father Louis Willemsen walked that day with my mother, Johanna Barendsma, through town, celebrating and met uncle Henk with his daughter (as far as I remember the so many times told story). Just a while later, he was shot in presence of his child, at the Dam.
* Landsmeer 2 June 1876 † Amsterdam 7 May 1945 Jan Goede was born in Landsmeer on June 2, 1876. He died, 68 years old, on May 7, 1945 on the Dam when German Kriegsmariners started shooting from the Groote Club into… (READ MORE)
* Amsterdam 18 September 1917 † Amsterdam 22 June 1945 Dien’s parents owned a bakery at Haarlemmerdijk 138 in Amsterdam. They had six children, three sons and three daughters, Dien was their eldest daughter. On October 13, 1943 she married Willem… (READ MORE)
* September 17 1877 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 Petrus Antonius Joseph van Dam was born in Gouda, September 17 1877 as a son of Dirk van Dam and Adriana Veerman. He married in 1901 with Johanna den Riet. In… (READ MORE)
* Amsterdam May 25 1936 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 Gerardus Bernardus (Gerrie) Cornelisse was born May 25 1936 as the youngest son of Jan Cornelisse and Catharina Wilhelmina (Catrien) Visser. He died shortly before his ninth birthday on May 7… (READ MORE)
* Zwolle 30 Juni 1896 † Amsterdam, may 8 1945 Willem, the son of Piet Cieraad and Gerritdiena Hermina Arends, was born in Zwolle on 30 June 1896. On 9 August 1923 he married the 21 year old Antje Smit… (READ MORE)
Popke Bakker was born on December 15, 1912 in Leeuwarden. He was married and had two children.
His son Sjoerd who was born on July 20, 1943 was named after his executed uncle, is now a famous artist.
* March 16, 1905 Oosterhout † May 7 1945 Nol, a ground worker, son of Cornelis Hermanus Stroop and Antonia Jacoba Koreman, married Pieternella Marsman in Amsterdam on May 11, 1933. He died May 7, 1945 at 4 pm as… (READ MORE)
* Amsterdam August 22 1881 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 Johannes Wilhelmus Saelman was born Amsterdam August 22nd 1881 as one of eight children of Joseph Frederik Saelman and Johanna Maria Feijen. His profession was smith, just as his father… (READ MORE)
Willem van den Boogaard was member of the Domestic Armed Forces group B. They were on May 7 1945 on duty at fences on the Dam, when suddenly around 03:00pm a shooting started from the building of the Groote Club.
* Amsterdam, August 21 1900 † Amsterdam, May 8 1945 On April 5, 1931 Willem Bakker married Trijntje (Truus) Kint in Amsterdam. They did not have any children. On Willem’s death certificate the cause of death is listed as a gunshot… (READ MORE)
In behalf of De Dam, 7 mei 1945 conversation with Jopie Kamstra-Schnater, at that time the girl next door of Jurrianus Lambertus Stad. Recently she read the article in the Noord-Hollands Dagblad of June 13th 2013 in which some names… (READ MORE)
Fredericus Johannes (Frits) Budde and Theodora Maria Sötebeer had three sons and one daughter. One of their sons, Fredericus (Herman) Josephus Budde, married Klasina Kok from Zaandam in 1937. They moved to Zieseniskade 21-2 in November 1944.
Freddy died on the Dam on May 7 at 3 pm due to gunshot wounds. He was 29 years old.
* Amsterdam August 19 1929 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 Geertruida Boelen was only 15 years when she died by bullets at May 7th 1945 on the Dam. Here parents were Jilt Boelen (1898-1984) and Geertruida Feijten (1902-1967). They lived… (READ MORE)
* Landsmeer September 7 1924 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 “Here rest our dear daughter and sister Hilligje Mastenbroek 20 year of age. From remembrance of friends and acquaintances.” A tombstone with this words stood for years on the cemetery… (READ MORE)
* Ommen June 21 1902 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 Antje was born in Ommen, daughter of Gerrit Moeke and Hendrina Maria Schröduer. She married in Amsterdam 1929 with Jan Passchier Quant (1904-1979); out this marriage a son and daughter…. (READ MORE)
* Amsterdam April 18 1902 † Amsterdam May 7 1945 Elisabeth Lacourt was the daughter of street organ players Wilhelm Frederik Lacourt and Elisabeth Schuijt. She was married to Hendrik Stephanus Wieland. She lived in the Willemsstraat with her husband… (READ MORE)
Johannes (Joop) Willem Straatmijer, Hendrik and Anna Geertruida Stradmeijer’s son, had a flower and plant stall at the Lindengracht market, and probably also at the Dam on May 7, 1945. He was 44 when he died that day at 3.15 pm as a result of multiple gunshot wounds.
Joop was married to Henriette Catharina Jansen 1905-1977 and they had one son; the family lived at Tweede Nassaustraat 13-1. After her husband’s death, Anna married Evert Johannes Siebers 1901-1952.